[Rhodes22-list] Politics: Patriotism

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Thu May 26 13:18:27 EDT 2005

Rummy,

No, actually I'm quite busy, and like you, I work for myself, so I pay
for all the time spent, unlike some others who seem to spend a lot of
company and government time promulgating anti-American political
viewpoints on this list.

If Stan chooses to spend time on this list, that's his business.
Literally.

Like Stan, and you, and many others, I am really worried about what is
happening in this country.  That is what the word "patriotism"
means--being devoted to your own country--and so we spend our own time
and money on it.

I have some very fast computers to help me.  I  hope that future
American generations will be well enough educated so that they will be
able to use the tools we have developed.  I have my doubts.  People of
non-European backgrounds have been pulling up the averages in this
country for years, and now they seem to be moving back to their
countries of origin.

A lot of the comments on the list center around the concept of killing
the goose that has been laying golden eggs so that we can get all the
gold for ourselves, right now.  Badly educated people are repeating
political slogans that they don't understand, that will harm them
personally, and will soon hurt our country so badly that we may never be
able to recover.

I know that you and many others share these concerns.  The methods for
achieving the goal of improving the United States are debatable, and
important, but for the most part, people are not talking about that.
Most people are simply shouting slogans at one another, and describing
the world in sports metaphors while the rest of the world eats our lunch.

I am very patriotic.  This country has been very good to me, to my
family, and to most of the people I know.  I feel I have no choice but
to spend as much time as it takes to leave this country at least as well
off as it was when I first came here.

Bill Effros