[Rhodes22-list] Children/drugs

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sat May 28 11:20:26 EDT 2005

Philip,

I believe you are sincere when you say I can say what I like, and it is
for that reason that I am responding to your post.

(Also because I thought your definition of Keynesian Economics was
excellent, and I welcome thoughts of that caliber.)

I am willing to take you at your word, posted elsewhere, that you read
and reflect on what is written by others.

Rummy wrote a satire, and labeled it properly.  You responded.  I responded.

But satire is, by its very nature, more pointed than a joke.  The point
was too sharp for many on the list who heretofore have maintained a
totally laissez-faire position with regard to everything posted whether
or not it was properly labeled.

Ever since Cheryl's posting about objectionable political content, this
list has been consumed by politics at the expense of Rhodes-22
information, to the extent that many people interested in boat
information have dropped off the list, leaving many people who would
sooner talk politics all day.   Not only do you not have a Rhodes-22,
but neither do most of the people who jumped in to support you:  Mark,
Rik, Herb, Michael--To the best of my knowledge, none of them currently
owns a Rhodes-22, either.

There are generally 100-200 people on the list.  You posted 35-40 times
in one day.  If everyone did what you did, we'd be looking at 3500 to
8000 emails in our mailboxes every day.  That is excessive in my view.

But let us turn our attention to the real point.  I know you noticed
this posting is not labeled "satire".

I have reared sons.  (My sons are more than twice your sons' ages.)  I
have taught school.  (The hardest job I ever had.)   A doctor friend
spent his life determining the proper dosage of Ritalin for children.
(He says it works.)  I worked for PBS.  (They still produce great
television that simply can't get on the air anywhere else.)  I have
always opposed "nation building".  (It is ignorant meddling in the
affairs of others at great cost to ourselves.  It always backfires.)

Rummy asked you the right satirical questions:  "Hey, what kid wouldn't
want to do drugs?  Did you ever ask him?"

Ritalin is speed.  Why do you think kids in college use speed when they
are cramming for tests?  Because it works.  It not only allows them to
stay up longer (that's what the parents think) and get high, (that's
what the kids think); but it also helps them to learn faster.  A kid
with a Ritalin prescription in college doesn't need a college job.

And what about steroids?  How many 300 pound athletes were there in your
high school class who were quicker than you?  Where do you think these
kids are coming from?  Neither evolution nor intelligent design works
that fast. Apart from what the steroids do to their systems, the kids
become too heavy for their legs, and many are crippled for life.  But
they all think they're going to make it in the NFL.  As a group they're
not good at statistics.

And what about crack, weed, meth, ice, smack, coke, ... I'm too old to
be able to run them all down anymore.

Who is going to be able to help steer your boys through that thicket?
The guidance counselor?  I think not.

Iraq is a morass.  We can never "win".  We can't even define what a
"win" would look like.  Sooner or later we are going to turn tail and
run.  You know it.  I know it.  And the Iraqis know it.  All they have
to do is wait.  After we go, they will fight for the oil amongst
themselves, and we will buy it from the winners.

You are not defending me by killing Iraqis.  Iraqis are not my enemy.
You are not defending your children by killing Iraqis.  Your children
need you at home.  Right now!  To help them answer the questions that no
one but a father can answer for his sons.

That is the real point of my satire, and you seem to be bright enough to
get it without this long winded explanation.

If, as you and Deena have repeatedly said, you could be out of the Army
this summer, do it!  This has nothing to do with disrespecting
soldiers.  Our military has been handed an impossible task.  The
military leaders who have said so have been drummed out and replaced
with sycophants.  You should leave with the good guys, and leave this
disastrous exercise in political hypocrisy.  If enough good soldiers
vote with their boots, our so-called "leaders" (virtually none of whom
ever saw combat duty) will bring this sorry mess to a quick resolution.

In your heart you know I'm right.  And that's why so many people didn't
want you to hear what I've got to say.  It is not polite to speak truth
to power.

Buy yourself a sailboat this summer.  Go out with your wife and your
kids.  There isn't a better boat in the world than a Rhodes-22 for
sitting with your kids and talking about drugs, and war, and spelling,
and Chaucer, and everything kids need to know in order to become good
adults.

I know you will think about what I have said, and I want you to know I
will respect whatever decision you make.

Bill Effros