[Rhodes22-list] the Crawford adventure begins (for a change of pace)

Robert Quinn rjquinn at bellsouth.net
Sat May 28 23:00:32 EDT 2005

{:>)

Such a tale!

----- Original Message -----
From: "stan" <stan at rhodes22.com>
To: "The Rhodes 22 mail list" <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 28, 2005 5:00 PM
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] the Crawford adventure begins (for a change of
pace)

Rose picked Frone and Andrea Crawford up at the bus depot in Edenton.  It
stops here once a year following leap year. Then loaned them her car so they
could go get breakfast followed by a little gas(oline) and other supplies in
case they should see another sunrise.

Meantime, back at the plant, the American crew (South) were all over the
boat trying to get it finished on time.  (The definition of 'on time' in
Spanish is manana.)

By afternoon everything was as good as it was going to get.  The priest said
a few words and there were a few flowers tossed to soothe Neptune but no
bashing of Rum across the bow since the hull was freshly painted and besides
the boat was not a virgin.

After the formal farewells they shoved off the Midway Drive ramp dock taking
part of the breakwater timbers to port as they made the sharp turn into sly
Albemarle Sound and headed East by Noreast.  At this point I would be
adding, "and we never head from then again".  But a funny thing happened to
us on our way home from Norfolk.

Costco had gotten in a batch of Magnolia trees (hard to buy in this part of
the South) for $70 and I thought that was a bargain and was going to buy a
few to put outside the plant since Bill Gates and Warren Buffet have become
my neighbors across the street and Brunswick my new neighbor to the south.
I was toying with the idea of changing the company name to Glass Magnolias
Boat Works.  By the time we got there Costco had marked these trees down
twice, all the way down to $29 - very hard for a kid from the real
depression, to resist.  So I bought out the entire supply and was moving
half of them down to Edenton.

Those of you who know US 17 in this area of the country know it thinks it is
an Interstate.  It has a beautiful rest area - probably the country's most
unique rest area in that it rests both cars and boats. We can never resist
stopping there each time we make the Virginia Beach shopping trip, to admire
the boats, this time rafted three deep with all bows pointing north, and to
feed the stray cats.

At this age I am no longer a womanizer (well not as much) and only have eyes
for Rhodes.  So I instantly woke Rose up with. "You are not going to believe
this."  Beyond the monster sailing yachts my rhodes trained eyes saw a pop
top enclosure and a Bimini and Red self cover furling sails.

The Crawfords were dumbfounded and promised to pay the balance due as soon
as they made it home.  We explained it was a chance encounter and gave them
what little ice was left in our van ice box.

They said they were sailing along the Sound like pros when the wind suddenly
made a 180 degree turn and all hell broke loose.  And they got drenched as
the boat performed like Mario Fiori's former submarine and they made it to
Elizabeth City that first day without a rudder failure. With the late start
they had had, the only way I figured they could have gotten to Elizabeth
City the first day was to have done what the lady who did so well at the NY
Marathon did - take the subway. By the second night they had made it to the
Rt. 17 Rest area and it was hard for us to believe their horror story
because the boat looked absolutely beautiful sitting there in its outside
rafting dockage, the pop top enclosure looked beautiful, the Bimini looked
beautiful, beaming Andrea looked beautiful, even Frone looked beautiful.  So
you will have to wait for the whole truth of their full adventure from their
own report.   As we drove away looking back at that neat Rhodes strutting
its stuff amongst the likes of an O'Day 36 and all those other big guys, it
made me almost want to give up the sailboat business and go cruising. (But I
recalled Nixon's haunting words to the press and wondered who would the List
have to kick around if I gave up the ship.)

stan/ec