[Rhodes22-list] Brad - Air Conditioning

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Sun May 29 07:53:59 EDT 2005

Bill,

Nope, we're dead serious.  Well, maybe that is a bad
choice of words.  There was a spate of carbon monoxide
deaths out on Lake Havasau a few years back with
houseboats and carbon monoxide gathering under the
swim platform.  A lot of people on other boating lists
have been bungee cord mounting their gensets on the
swim platform.  That doesn't solve the problem.  I
think the key is to get the exhaust up high, or below
the waterline.  I don't want the genset in the cabin
so it needs to go topside. Some folks put the Honda in
the dink but it has tipover protection and frequently
shuts down when the dink gets hit by a wave. Another
idea is to mount it in an industrial plastic box
(think Home Depot) and silence it even more.  Attached
is a message from another list associated with that
idea.

I can't change the name of this boat because my
daughter already knows it is named after her but my
next boat may be named the "Rube Goldberg".

  --------    A friend of mine put a Honda 1000 watt
(old style) in a full size cooler. He put a 110 v fan
in one end and a hole in the other end for air to get
out. He put the Honda into the cooler with the exhaust
end towards the exit hole. When he started the Honda
the fan came on and cooled the whole set up. It was
relatively noise free even though it was the older
louder unit. He also extended the exhaust out through
the side of the cooler and down into the water - this
quieted the exhaust.
He bolted the cooler to his swim platform and all he
did was lean over the transom, lift the top of the
cooler, start the generator, close the lid and sit
back and relax. This worked very well and he used it
for 2 or 3 years.

Brad