[Rhodes22-list] Lift Mufflers (was Air Conditioning)

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Sun May 29 16:02:18 EDT 2005

I disagree with the statement below. I know the Rhodes 22 doesn't (often?) come equipped with an inboard engine; however larger boats frequently make use of lift mufflers. A lift muffler basically pull water into a cannister, the engine's exhaust goes into that cannister, pressure builds up (and the engine is muffled at the same time) until enough pressure builds to push the water out of the cannister. Then the cycle starts again.

>>> bill at effros.com 5/29/2005 10:23 AM >>>
BTW Putting an exhaust hose into water is a really really bad idea.  It
creates back pressure that the engine is not designed for.  This will
shorten the life of the engine, but more importantly in this
application, it will cause improper combustion which increases carbon
monoxide output.  The back pressure will also damage the exhaust system
causing it to leak above the water line.