[Rhodes22-list] Brad - Air Conditioning

Alex Bell alexbell at lpmonline.net
Mon May 30 20:14:58 EDT 2005

Phillip, Brad,

Frigiboat is marketing a 5k dc air conditioning system. They also make
holding plate refrigeration systems for boats. Real pricey, and not
really pratical for R22's.

Concerning AC on boats, the Cruisair units do a good job, especially the
split systems. We've got the 16K system on Kizmet with the air handler
in the cabin and the compressor in the cockpit lazerette. It's much
quieter than the self contained units. If you wanted to run an AC aboard
the R22 you could install the self contained unit in the laz and run
your cooling line up under the seat, cut a hole in the bulkhead and you
have AC. Not real pratical either.

Installing a home type AC over a hatch is not very pretty. It works for
some, and we've got a couple of boats here at the marina that do that.
They're usually boats in the 32 to 34 foot range and are of the "hanger
queen" type. Never leave the harbor. People use them for a floating
getaway condo. Maybe you can do a better job of installation so that
it's easy to remove and reinstall. The handles on the one in the pics
looks like a good step. My luck, I'd drill into the cooling fins and let
all those ozone attackers out of the tubes.

 As to making canvas to fit the AC and hatch, we could make something
like that, but we've got a 6 month backlog for large projects and aren't
taking on anything of that nature right now. I would suggest that you
pattern up something that works and take it to a car upholstry shop in
your area. That might be far cheaper.  We use 6 mil clear shrink wrap to
pattern with. You could cut cardboard out to do the same thing. Cut your
pieces of  canvas out  and  sew  inside out. Flip it  over and it's got
a nice finished look. Trying to make it out of one piece of cloth
requires some sewing experience like Pamela has. You end up with pleats
that are hard to make equal on each side. From your pictures included at
that website, I think you could do a decent job, but I would add a line
around the AC unit from one side to the other with my favorite material,
the bungie. Put a couple of gromits in the side and it's going to stay put.

For those who think they want to do some canvas work on their own, look
at the Sairlrite website. They sell sewing machines (that's where we got
our first one) and have lots of helpful information on how to do it.
They have plans for different projects that might appeal to youo. They
even have kits for dodgers and biminisa. NOTE TO ALL... The dodger is
the single most difficult project we make. We charge  $2,200 to $2,800
for a typical dodger. They cost that for a good reason. They're hard to
do well. But some people have done dodgers with kits from Sailrite
(including frames) and they came out fine. I'd encourage anyone who is
thinking about getting a sewing machine to do canvas work to look at
their site. They have very good machines and also have an area where you
can buy or sell used machines. We sold ours in 2 days after listing it
on their site.

If you need help in patterning something like this, I can give you some
guidance. I think Sailrite has some helpful stuff on their site. They
even have videos if you've got good connect speed.

Alex Bell