[Rhodes22-list] Jib Question, also UPS

Jay Friedland jsail1 at verizon.net
Fri Nov 4 14:57:29 EST 2005

Slim,
If you trust the loft to do repairs, they can give you an opinion on
the life left in the sails. Blown out is blown out, and the luff pad
can compensate for that. My 155% gennie was 8 years last year and
even with a luff pad, still seemed to backwind a bit when close hauled.

I took it in to a local loft that just laid it out on the floor and
confirmed it had excessive draft. He couldn't guarantee a good fix,
but I figured I had nothing to lose to have him try. He took 2
sections out of the 2nd and 3rd panels up that went from 1/4" min. to
almost 7/8" for 1-3/4" flattening at the center of the draft. Now
it's performance is much better, even picking up a few degrees on
pointing. The final note was that it came from Doyle that way, kind
of sloppy cut, but it was a full cut not the routine fractional, a
one of a kind from GBI's norm.

An additional note on Doyle on UPS sails- At Annapolis, I spoke to
Paul from the City Island loft on some bagginess near the top of the
UPS when furled. He said they over did the roach on the early cuts,
but would fix it when I brought it in.
Jay