[Rhodes22-list] Bottom paint touch up?

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Mon Nov 7 14:52:18 EST 2005

I think the international sailor's repair and modification organization (ISRMO) forbids any type of "touch up" to your boat. Anytime the boat needs attention, it must be hauled and all repairs done completely before the boat can be recommissioned. At that time, you must have a certified captain (I'm available, for a small fee plus travel expenses) perform a recomissioning ceremony. Then you can put the boat back in the water.

Sorry, sometimes I get carried away. Yes, you can touch up bottom paint. Lightly sand the area so it's got something to grab hold of, and up touch away. Keep in mind that if the touched area is thicker you'll see that much of a stripe when you go to redo the whole bottom. It'll all even out when you do a complete bottom job, so there's no problem there.

Herb Parsons

S/V O'Jure
  1976 O'Day 25
  Lake Grapevine, N TX

S/V Reve de Papa
  1971 Coronado 35
  Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana Coast

>>> rlowe at vt.edu 11/7/2005 2:39:25 PM >>>
I noticed when we pulled our boat that the bottom paint is scratched in a few spots.  Can you touch up the spots?  Or do you have to repaint the whole bottom?

Rob Lowe
S/V Getaway