[Rhodes22-list] P - Marines

Cheryl O'Grady cheryl.ogrady at mail.com
Fri Nov 11 09:39:52 EST 2005

I haven't thought deeply about the actual workings of this, but couldn't we combine a national service with the volunteer army?  After all, noone would have to choose the military, they could choose other forms of civil service.  And those who stayed in after their year of service, that would be voluntary.  I lived in Germany for a little while, and heard about my neighbors' sons who had to do a year of service between high school and university.  Nobody thought twice about it, it was just what you owed your country.  What happened to the American value of service to the nation?

>   The potential for abuse of power under such insulation is
> something that we all need to consider.

 this administration scares the poo out of me, for just such a reason.