[Rhodes22-list] response to Brad(political)

Cheryl O'Grady cheryl.ogrady at mail.com
Tue Nov 15 15:38:22 EST 2005

Brad,
See, this is what I do because I can't go sailing.  I like to kick the anthill, and see what scurries around.

the only one I am blaming is Bush.  He got us into a war we shouldn't have been in.  Yes, the results are great - I am very happy for the Iraqi people, but then end doesn't justify the means.  $300 billion later, money we as a country didn't have just laying around to throw away, we are still involved and will be for years.  I know war isn't perfect, and you can't have everything perfect at the start, but you make excuses for everything that has gone wrong, when much of the problems were predicted in advance - they just didn't listen to people who knew the region.

That $300 billion would have been far better spent rebuilding our own infrastructure.

Regarding the Iraqi National Museum, if you go to that site, and read some of the source material, you find your way to a site maintained by an archaeologist that is kind of the "information central" regarding this issue.  I went to her website, and followed some of her links.  The following is a quote from an article dated August, 2005.  There are two more recent articles, but my German is not good enough to read these technical articles.

"An estimated 13,000 pieces are still missing. The many tens of thousands of archaeological sites throughout Iraq have not been so lucky: their looting and destruction has not even begun to abate since 2003. The Sumerian heartland in southern Iraq has been hit the hardest. Whole "tells" or ruin mounds have been reduced to pockmarked moon landscapes due to the frantic digging activities of looters, e.g., Tell Jokha (ancient Umma), Ishan Bakhriyyat (ancient Isin), etc.

The reaction in the US to the events of 2003 has been mired in controversy. After the intial confusion in the media during which it was feared the National Museum had been robbed bare, a number of conservative, pro-Iraq War political commentators falsely claimed that hardly anything had been taken. In other words, the museum theft story supposedly had been just a ploy by Ba'athists to make the Bush administration look bad. Western archaeologists and scholars had been either willing or naïve participants in this fraud, so it was said. It is hard to believe but this myth is still being repeated every so often. In general, the US academic community reacted with horror and anger. Notwithstanding serious pre-war efforts to educate both the Pentagon and the State Department about their responsibilities toward the heritage of Iraq once the war would begin, it was apparent that the commanders on the battlefield had not been instructed to safeguard archaeological and cultural sites. The one positive effect from the consultations was that Coalition airplanes did manage to avoid bombing sensitive heritage sites."

Regarding the Salon article, it is too old to be valid.  It is based on the assumptions that there have always been and always will be problems with spoiled ballots and other problems, but they wouldn't change the outcome.  But it was written within a week of the election, before there was time to do much real analysis.  Go to this site to see a report compiled by a group of statisticians and mathematicians.  A lot of it is statistics, a subject which I learned only well enough to pass the course then promptly forgot.  But the conclusions are written in English.  I'm sure that to a true Bush believer, this doesn't qualify as evidence, after all, a good statistician can make the numbers say whatever he wants, no?

http://electionarchive.org/ucvAnalysis/US/Presidential-Election-2004.pdf

Anyway, gotta go rake leaves.  About every two hours, the number of leaves on my lawn doubles....Enjoy the sailing.
Cheryl