[Rhodes22-list] stirring the hornet's nest.... (political)

Cheryl O'Grady cheryl.ogrady at mail.com
Tue Nov 15 19:51:48 EST 2005

Haven't you seen all the evidence about the touch-screen voting machines that don't put out a paper ballot?  Therefore there is no chance of a recount differing from the original vote.  If there is in fact paper trails, then it would be auditable.  But without a paper printout that is verified by the voter, a recount is meaningless.

Regarding my "top races" comment -  I know better than to use never and always and  only - I just always forget when my brain is in bumblebee mode.  I mistook a comment I had read in the statistical analysis - it was a comment made primarily in reference to problems in Washington State, not to be expanded to the country at large.  mea culpa. I would, however, be interested in your citations.  In which races were the exit polls more than 5% off from the final?  Again, please remember that the company that puts out the exit polls converts them to agree with the final votes, so which exit polls were they using?

I should have used the word "primarily": "If exit polls were so inadequate, why did the exit polls primarily differ in the top races?"

> Typically, there are votes that "disappear into black boxes", that
> is why we have the option for recounts.

This was true as long as we used some kind of punch card, or optical scanner, which provided a paper trail.  Sorry, but I don't trust my democracy, my vote, to a computer!  Particularly when any joe can modem in and change the software without leaving a trail.

The following is a quote from the GAO report:
"Studies found )1) some electronic voting systems did not encrypt cast ballots or system audit logs, and it was possible to alter both without being detected; (2) it was possible to alter the files that define how a ballot looks and works so that the votes for one candidate could be recorded for a different candidate; and (3) vendors installed uncertified versions of voting system software at the local level.."

Is there anything wrong with having a voting machine spit out a receipt - like you get at the grocery store or the library - that the voter can look at and say, yep that's who I voted for, then the receipts are kept in case a recount is necessary.  Then, we know that the button we pressed is the vote that was cast.

Cheryl