[Rhodes22-list] Captain Ron Coleman

ed kroposki ekroposki at charter.net
Thu Nov 17 09:35:53 EST 2005

Ron,
	You must walk on water.  You immediately got a reply from Mary Lou.
Mary Lou is not only a Chesapeake Rhodie but a noted author on the subject.

She has written a chapter in the book, "Sailing Small", edited by Grayson
and available from:  http://www.devereuxbooks.com/
	The Rhodes 22 will never be your Erickson 29.  So understand that
you are going significantly smaller.  What the Rhodes 22 is:  (1) extremely
safe both in construction and handling.  You have to work hard to get
yourself in trouble. (2)  Trailerable - with Stan's unique crane system you
can single handed raise and lower the mast.  You can completely rig or take
down and pack up for the trip home by yourself.  What did it take to take
down the mast of your Erickson 29, and how many helpers?  (3) Yes you can
overnight, just follow Mary Lou's instructions.  However, it will never be
like your Erickson.  Two people in the cabin is o.k., but cramped, just like
sleeping in a tent, have you ever done tent camping?
	Here is the nitty gritty.  The Rhodes 22 will go where your Erickson
never could, thin water.  That gives you more places to go especially if you
want to get away from the crowds for a while.
	The Rhodes 22 has the option of IMF and Furling foresail.  That
unique combination means, and I quote Bill Effros, "infinitely adjusting
sails."  And all adjustments can be done from the cockpit.  This adds to
safety factor.
	Now I would encourage you to research the archives of this site.
Stay away from the political comments until you find your sailboat answers.
In particular, look for the name Chris Geankoplis.  Read all his posts about
his Baja trip starting in August 2005.  Every question that you asked has
been answered many times in the past and your effort at research will yield
differing opinions, answers and facts. See:
http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/2005-August/author.html
	If you decide on the Rhodes 22, my recommendation is get the newest
boat that you can afford with IMF and enclosed head.  Keep in mind that Stan
still makes new boats and can make you one exactly as you wish.
	And with a trailer, you can come down and sail on Lake Hartwell with
the infamous Rummy.  We sail all winter here.  See:
1.  http://familyoutdoors.com/pages/bigwater.htm
2.  http://www.portmanmarina.com/marina.htm

All replies to the list not withstanding the political stuff.  You will get
other comments.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA