[Rhodes22-list] Berthing and Sitting Capacity

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Fri Nov 18 14:21:13 EST 2005

Folks,

I’m a newbee on this board and will appreciate any comments or info  you
might provide.  My wife and I are assessing whether a Rhodes 22  will support our
sailing in the years ahead.  We've read the material on  the Rhodes 22 website
and also the GBI material, but I have some  questions that people on this
board can probably respond to based on their  experience.

First some background: My son is 6' 6", I’m 6' 3", my wife is 6' - all
normal builds, not portly, not slim.  My guess is that if my son brought a  friend
along sailing they’d be about 6'.   My wife and I envisage  overnighting
(short term cruising) with our son etc, which gets to  berthing.

Seems to me that the V-berth could handle 1 adult, ventilation  permitting.
In your experience, does ventilation commonly permit using the  V-berth on hot
summer nights? (We’d be sailing on the Chesapeake initially and  further
south on the east coast ultimately.)

Also, I’ve seen a 22 at GBI, made a crude measurement of the double cabin
berth, and concluded it was about 39" wide; but that doesn’t seem like a double
berth to me.  I could have a wrong idea as to how that berth is  implemented,
or maybe 39" is a double berth.  If the settee  based double berth is wider
than about 39" would someone tell me what the  width is, and how that berth is
arranged?

My current assessment is that there is really berthing for 2 adults inside
the cabin (1 V, 1 settee), but I could have a misconception as to how the
berthing is laid out.  If I’m wrong about what constitutes a double berth,  or how
the berthing is arranged, please straighten me out.

Also, although the cockpit might sit 6 or more people, as I recall  there is
sitting room for about 3 people below.  Again, is this consistent  with your
experience?

Thank you for any input.

Dave Lewis