[Rhodes22-list] Political question for Mr. Effros

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sun Nov 20 11:50:57 EST 2005

Chris,

My recollection is similar to yours, however, as I know you're aware, it
has been difficult to obtain an Al Qaeda membership list.

Also, the Western press spends a long time before its standardizes the
transliterated spellings of these Arabic names, so it is virtually
impossible to Google them.  As a result, most of us tend to jumble all
of these guys together without really knowing who is who.

Here's my recollection, although it is quite possible that I am jumbling
together several different individuals.

As I remember it, somebody opened a school for terrorists on the Iraqi
border so far from anywhere that even Saddam couldn't get his hands on
him.  He wrote a letter to Osama who basically blew him off.  We bombed
the camp during the invasion.  Then, al-Zarqawi started popping up
effectively all over Iraq.  It seems to me his group had a different
name at this point.  He then petitioned Osama for permission to use the
Al Qaeda brand name -- sort of like a franchise.  Osama agreed.

I also heard the petty criminal in Jordan story.

Are all these stories about the same guy?  I really don't know.  What's
more, you've always got to wonder where these stories are coming from.
Everybody is so busy demonizing everybody else, that at some point you
totally lose track of who said what.

Bill Effros