[Rhodes22-list] Reply to Lou on Motors

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sun Nov 20 15:58:35 EST 2005

Luis,

Thanks for the links.  Since I'm just following my mail in chronological
order I didn't see this before sending my last reply.  I followed up the
links.  Very interesting.  But I still think I'll stick with my original
assessment.

The electric boat guys seem to be dancing around the issues.  They are
powering lightweight boats with heavyweight equipment.  They talk about
how light their engines are, without mentioning how heavy their 48 volt
batteries are.  They never indicate for how long they can maintain their
top speed with the batteries onboard.  They talk about how clean the
engine is, without talking about how much oil has to be burned to
generate the power to put back into the batteries.

Submarines run on batteries while submerged and the newer ones run on
batteries all the time.  There's no question but that the technology can
be made to work.  The problem is that it's very costly, and complex, and
everyone has to figure out how to get the power used back into the
batteries.  I'm sure, if you put your mind to it, you'll be able to
build an electric outboard motor.  However, if you mount it on your
Rhodes 22, and start to use it while sailing, I think you'll soon wish
you had just bought a gasoline powered outboard instead.  That's what
I'm going to do if I get a new engine.

Bill Effros