[Rhodes22-list] Reply to Dan Snyder- 175 Genoa etc.

Jim White lemenagerie22 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 21 08:46:24 EST 2005

Rummy:
  The 175 is a great sail here on the South Texas coast too, where much of the time the wind comes up in the middle of the day to over 15 knots. I just put part of it back on the stay and keep going....sometimes early in the morning it's not even quite enough, and of course, running downwind poled out, wing on wing is a unbeatable. I wouldn't even consider any other headsail size on Menagerie....
  jw

R22RumRunner at aol.com wrote:
  Dan,
If you are going to be sailing on an inland lake, I would recommend the 175.
Lake sailors don't have the benefit of constant winds like ocean sailors
often do. The ability to furl and move the lines inside the shrouds makes it a
good choice.
I don't have the problem with the sail collapsing and I don't experience
pointing or some of the other problems people associate with the 175. It's all
about experience, knowing the boat and trying different things to find good
sail shape for the wind conditions. Balance is also important to sail shape.
Often, my crew members get annoyed with my constantly moving their weight around
to keep good balance, but that's why they are there in the first place. Oh,
and they also come in handy for keeping the drinks filled.

Rummy

Jim White
Le Menagerie
www.lemenagerie.blogspot.com