[Rhodes22-list] Carb problems with NISSAN outboards?

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 21 10:03:15 EST 2005

Peter,

Running ethanol in outboards poses three problems:  1
- ethanol absorbs water more readily, not good in a
marine environment, 2 - ethanol has more detergent
qualities which washes more "crud" from your tank into
the engine, and 3 - ethanol eats away at hoses not
designed for it.  Most of the later model 2 and 4
strokes are supposed to have hoses and o-rings that
handle it but you still have issues 1 and 2 to deal
with.  That is precisely why the FAA still doesn't
allow ethanol blended fuels to be used in aircraft
that have the STC for auto-gas.

Brad