[Rhodes22-list] Tiller Auto Pilot Question(s)

William E. Wickman wewickman at duke-energy.com
Mon Nov 21 17:10:30 EST 2005

I am looking at buying a Tillerpilot.  It looks like the Raymarine ST1000
is the one everyone is getting.  For those of you with autopilots, I have a
few questions:

1)  Is the ST1000 the best unit for the Rhodes22?  Anyone have or use the
Simrad?

2) How did you install yours?  Any problems/challenges?  Did you install
the pushrod pin above or below the tiller?  Where to install the base of
the unit?  How about the power plug?

3)  Does the unit have to be installed exactly level?  It looks to me like
it would be impossible to install the mounting pedestal (or base unit
mounting hole) perfectly horizontal because of the slope of the coaming.
How did you deal with the non levelness issue?

I read in the Rhodes22 FAQ where Roger recommended a 3" pedestal and 2- 5"
rod extenders.  However, a recent picture of Yankee Clipper shows the unit
mounted nearly flush to the deck with the pushrod mounted underneath the
tiller.

Basically, I would love to hear about everyone's experience with these
contraptions.

Thanks,
Bill W.