porta-potty vs marine head Re: [Rhodes22-list] thanks for replies

eroncol at aol.com eroncol at aol.com
Mon Nov 21 22:03:44 EST 2005

Mary Lou
Thanks for the info.
   Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: Mary Lou Troy <mltroy at verizon.net>
To: The Rhodes 22 mail list <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>
Sent: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 10:51:45 -0500
Subject: porta-potty vs marine head Re: [Rhodes22-list] thanks for replies

Ron Asked:
>I've used marine head but never have used a porta-potti. Seems there are >differences of opinion both about enclosed head and about porta-potti >versus marine head. Why prefer the porta-potti?

To quote from "Sailing Small", "we decided that the cabin seemed roomier in the boats with a semi-enclosed head. We chose a portable toilet because it was simpler than a marine head. While pumpouts are widely available on the Chesapeake, there is always the chance we might want to trailer to places where pumpouts are unavailable. The portable toilet is easy enough to bring home to clean and we don't have to bother with fixing head problems at the marina."

The more time we spend a marina with big boats, the happier I am with the portable toilet. People see to be always fixing head problems. We don't have any. Most of the time we just bring the head home to empty it. It takes only a minute or two to empty it and give it a good rinse. If we are out cruising, we generally stop every second or third day to stay at a marina, get a shower and empty the head. If we plan to be out longer, we do have a bottom with the holding tank for our portable toilet. It doubles the length of time we can be out.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Ft. Washington, PA / Swan Creek, MD