[Rhodes22-list] Tiller Auto Pilot Question(s)

Richard Smith sailnut at att.net
Tue Nov 22 09:48:16 EST 2005

> 1)  Is the ST1000 the best unit for the Rhodes22?  Anyone have or use the
> Simrad?>

Either... the smallest one is what you want.

<Did you install
> the pushrod pin above or below the tiller?>

Buy the bracket which screws to the bottom of the tiller.  You want the pin
to be level with the cockpit combing.

 < Where to install the base of
> the unit?>

On the top of the combing.  You will need a push-rod extension piece to
reach the pin.

<How about the power plug?>

On the seat back slightly aft of the tiller pilot.

<Does the unit have to be installed exactly level?>

No as long as its relatively level it makes no difference.  It's more
important to get the push-rod perpendicular to the tiller axis.

< Yankee Clipper shows the unit
> mounted nearly flush to the deck with the pushrod mounted underneath the
> tiller.>

That's what I did and it worked fine.

> Basically, I would love to hear about everyone's experience with these
> contraptions.>

For long passages it's a MUST have.  It's also useful when single handing.

IMPORTANT always remember that if you fall overboard while using the thing
your boat is going to sail away under the auto pilots control.  You can
imagine the consequences associated with that!!!

Richard Smith