[Rhodes22-list] Bottom Paint

Richard Smith sailnut at att.net
Wed Nov 23 10:41:41 EST 2005

> My new Rhodes, due in May, will mostly stay on it's mooring ball from May
> thru Oct. here on a fresh water lake in NH. >

If the water is warm enough I suggest you get a scuba mask and use a sponge
to wipe off the slime every couple of weeks.  Otherwise get in touch with
Petitt for their recommendations.  Remember any bottom coating you apply,
even ablative, will require sanding which is no fun and not environmentally
friendly.

> My new Rhodes will have a red hull also, and I'd sure hate to see the
color
> fade like the Potter.>

Red pigments tend to chalk and fade more then others.  Your best bet is to
keep the hull waxed.  Why your Potter faded below the waterline but not
above is very peculiar.  Was the gel coat surface abraded or sanded at any
time?

Richard Smith