[Rhodes22-list] Rails

Saroj Gilbert saroj at pathfind.net
Wed Nov 23 11:54:06 EST 2005

I personally don't like rails on the Rhodes... if I have to forward in rough
weather, I'm down on my hands and knees going from stay to stay, then the
cleats.  Rarely is required.  Just one more thing for stuff to get hung up
on.  I wear a self-inflatable

I haven't sailed often with small children, but have with dogs... frankly I
would do with the kids same way as the dogs... life jacket tethered at all
times when underway.. just the life jacket when the boat is tethered to
something.  I wouldn't tether it to the mast though when underway... use a
cleat on the bulkhead fore of the cockpit or near the stern if closer to
where they are sitting.. no kid of that age should be anywhere near the mast
while underway.

With kids, you're going to have to train them well to stay in the cockpit or
cabin when underway.  Its challenging cause they get bored.. so bring along
games, lots of snacks and find useful things for them to do once old
enough... like tail the sheets or hang onto the tiller while you are doing
something, etc.

Lots of information on cruising with children to give you ideas.. internet,
books, etc.  Great environment for them!

Saroj