[Rhodes22-list] ?4 Capt Bob

Bob Keller r22yankeeclipper at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 24 09:02:06 EST 2005

Ed,
I'm no expert in bottom paints, I just was told that Petit Trinidad is a
hard paint - which is obvious when I look at it and touch it on the boat.  I
think the ablatives are labeled as such.  Don't know about a teflon?  The
guy said I could stay with a hard paint and just add another coat but that
eventually I would have to "deal with it" before repainting.  He means a
thorough and difficult sanding job - maybe even sand blasting down to gel
coat and then applying a barrier coat before reapplying bottom paint.  So,
I'm going with ablative.

We decided not to buy directly on a river because it did not interest us
that much for the big money it would take.  The rivers are about 20 feet
wide and the depths vary greatly with 4-5 knot currents!  Plus, you need a
200 foot walkway across the marsh to your dock.  ICW-type property would
mean an hour drive from work and school, private school and major bucks.
So, Richmond Hill is the best compromise-excellent public high school, 20
minutes from work and lots of new homes to choose from.  We have a marsh
view that we will share with millions of mosquitos and sand gnats.

And, we are keeping the lake house, because I like it so much and it's my
"safety valve" if we don't like Savannah we could always move there in 2
years when my youngest clears high school.  'Ya gotta have options!

The Sail Harbor Marina is so close to sailing waters that I will likely use
my motor even less than you and Rummy.

For everyone else, sorry about TMI.

Bob K