[Rhodes22-list] Tiller Auto Pilot Question(s)

Rick Lange gravityleak at isp.com
Sat Nov 26 10:48:31 EST 2005

Bill,

I've used the ST1000 with remote for about 7 years.

For single handing or long trips, I wouldn't be without it.  I can stear
and tack from anywhere in the boat, from the tip of the bow back.  When my
wife was recently invited to steer a wheel driven helm, she declined
because there were no buttons to push.

This spring, one of the rubber drive belts failed and I sent it in for
repair/reconditioning.  For $200, it tacks even better than before.  It
now swings the boat through 100 deg to give better acceleration.  Then
after about 30 seconds, heads back up 10 deg.

Rick

On Wed, November 23, 2005 12:30 pm, William E. Wickman said:

> Thanks for the input Herb and Bob.  Now, if I can just find one that comes
> with the remote....  Unfortunately, it looks like Raymarine discontinued
> offering the free wired remote and replaced it with a high dollar wireless
> remote.  Granted the wireless can interface with other SeaTalk items, but
> at $350 it costs almost as much as the tillerpilot!  Don't you just love
> corporate greed?
>
> Bill W.
>

>              "Herb Parsons"
>              <hparsons at parsons
>              ys.com>                                                    To
>              Sent by:                  <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>
>              rhodes22-list-bou                                          cc
>              nces at rhodes22.org
>                                                                    Subject
>                                        RE: [Rhodes22-list] Tiller Auto
>              11/22/2005 10:36          Pilot Question(s)
>              PM
>

>              Please respond to
>                The Rhodes 22
>                  mail list
>              <rhodes22-list at rh
>                 odes22.org>
>

> If I may, even though not a Rhodes owner, I'll add a couple of things.
>
> First of all, the "little receptacle cup" is not only epoxied into place,
> but if the thickness of the fiberglass is less than the depth of the cup,
> it should first be backed with a block of wood (or fiberglass, or
> something). In other words, the cup should be inserted into a solid base.
> On my O'Day 25, I put some epoxy on it, and ran a wood screw through the
> fiberglass and wood until it dried. Then I drilled the hole for the cup.
>
> Next, I'll say this is good for a LOT more than just single-handing. My
> wife thought I was being extravagant when I bought ours. However, a few
> evenings of us sitting on the bow of the boat, while it "sailed itself"
> convinced her it was one of the better purchases for the boat. It also
> gets
> her on the boat more frequently, and ANYTHING that gets her on the boat
> more often is a great deal!
>
> Herb Parsons
>
> S/V O'Jure
>   1976 O'Day 25
>   Lake Grapevine, N TX
>
> S/V Reve de Papa
>   1971 Coronado 35
>   Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana Coast

> Bill,
> I'm not going to tell you about my unit, but will be glad to talk about my
> autopilot...I went with the ST2000, but not for any specific reason other
> than I read that it might be more reliable (I think in epinions.com) and I
> figured that more power could not hurt.  Will the ST1000 work?  Most
> likely
>
> it would be fine.  The R-22 helm is very light, even in heavy wind.
>
> As for installation, I had it at Big Water Marina for several months with
> no
> progress before finding someone close to Atlanta (Lake Lanier) who had
> [...]

Regards,

Rick