[Rhodes22-list] Retrieving WAS Access to Archive files

Saroj Gilbert saroj at pathfind.net
Sun Oct 2 01:10:08 EDT 2005

I'm wracking my brain to remember where I have the "Stan-blessed"
instructions for loading onto the trailer... I actually think it is on a
very old VHS tape that I picked up somewhere along the way....

However I'll put my 2 cents in and others can add theirs... I don't do this
very often so hang on for the ride...

I remember very distinctly Stan saying "keep the front edge of the bunks
about 4 inches or so above water"... you should be able to see them easily.
The trailer should be as straight as possible at a 90 deg angle to the
waterline.  I have once retrieved w/o extending the tongue, but much better
to have it extended.

Next... keep the centerboard down when retrieving... it catches in the
guides and keeps the boat centered... be sure to pull it up completely after
the boat is situated properly or there will be hell to pay when you launch
next cause it will get caught and can do some serious damage.

I drive the boat onto the trailer with the motor... I think most do, but
have lost touch since past discussions... it gives good momentum to get the
boat as far forward as possible, but tricky since it is difficult to manage
the motor and still see forward... of course you must put it in neutral as
the bow enters the trailer or you will overrun.  I disconnect the gas line
and leave the motor to run out of gas.

Then, if solo, run forward and attach the trailer winch cable to the bow eye
and crank as tightly as you can.

Finally, once you are on relatively level ground, do some lurching forward
and braking to encourage the boat even more forward and tighten down the
cable even more.  I seem to recall though that once the boat is positioned
you should loosen the cable a bit... can't remember why.

I have a Triad trailer approximately the same age as yours I suspect,
however a few years ago I had a second axle added and the original one
repositioned.  The trailer is far more stable now and a delight to tow.
She's been across country since (through the Rockies twice and once down
Bryce Canyon... nearly burned out the brakes of the tow vehicle on that one)
and we hardly knew she was there.

I've left out some other tasks like pulling up the rudder or removing it,
handling the boom and mast, etc.  I assume you have that part handled.

I will say though that when I've prepped the boat for a long haul, I schlep
the motor up into the bow for extra weight... again, not easy, but well
worth it.

I once tried to retrieve the boat w/o the CB down cause it was frozen due to
below freezing weather (don't ask... don't try it... it is a painful
experience)... I had a tough time centering the boat and finally backed her
off and worked the CB until it released... then all went well, but in the
meantime I had cracked one of the bunks which had to be replaced.

Hope this helps... any additions or corrections welcomed.

Saroj