[Rhodes22-list] To Rick Evans (and anybody else who wants to know)

Rick Evans ricke555 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 5 07:59:18 EDT 2005

Tom,

Thanks

I completely understand that a one design sailboat
will not compare in any way to a an R22. I was just
giving people some background on my sailing
experience.

I race other peoples sonars and I day sail in my own
boat up until now the boats I owned have included
(hunter 27, oday tempest 23, Columbia 22).

I think I am the only person that at the age of 34
keeps moving down in size lol.

Thank you for your opinions etc.. I aprreciate them
greatly.

Did you tip the captain on your test sail? LOL

--- SVTRITON at aol.com wrote:

> hi rick
> i own an r22 and am happy with the boat...having
> sailed a sonar for a  couple
> of years there are some differences that i note here
> from my
> experience...first you will not point an r22
> anywhere close to the sonar unless  you furl up
> the jib to use the inner leads in which case you
> better have a lot  of wind
> speed or the boat will not have the power you are
> used to on the
> sonar....second the sail plan on the rhodes is the
> opposite of the sonar..sonar  drives by
> the main..r22 by the jib..the result is some lee
> helm in light air  which you
> probably wont experience this weekend..from marylous
> forecast...third  the
> sonar is a fixed keel (at least the ones ive sailed)
> with a greater  distribution
> of weight under the water...the r22 relies more on
> human ballast so  it is
> important in the test sail to have the number of
> people on board that you  will
> normally sail with...my test sail had six on board
> and i single hand for  the
> most part so my learning curve was a lot longer than
> i thought it would be  as
> a result of less weight..i sail in the chesapeake
> bay and use a 150 genny
> with the imf main and a ups for light air days..the
> boat is overbuilt, heavy and
> safe..obviously i choose it for what wanted. the
> sonar was built for a
> different  purpose so make sure what type of sailing
> you want to do
> hope this helps
> tom
> www.rhodes22.org/list