[Rhodes22-list] No profits in prophets? which prophets?

Todd Tavares sprocket80 at mail.com
Fri Oct 14 01:35:22 EDT 2005

Ed,

   Mike may not have time to monitor the list, so I be the defender of the faith (by proxy).

   Someone once said that one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.  Well this obviously depends which side you are on.  As an American in the 21st century, having watched the WTC towers fall IRT on CNN, I view radical Muslims as terrorists and murderers.  If I was an 'Indian' at Wounded Knee, the American government was the terrorists and murderers.  If I was a Palestinian in a camp on the West Bank, then the Jews are the murderers and terrorists.  If I was a Jew in Germany in 1941, the Nazis were murderers and terrorists.  This can go back as far as Cain and Abel or when the first primate smashed another primate's skull with a rock....depending on your belief system.

So when you said:

> Al Qaeda is a loosely
> knit group that wants to create a totalitarian state
> theoretically based on
> the Qur'an.

It has a certain impact.  I could just as easily say that the Founding Fathers of the United States were a loosely knit group that created a democratic state, through the use of violence, based theoretically on the Bible.  It has the same impact as the first statement if you are a Muslim; even more so if you were a native Indian at the time (manifest destiny and all that).  But some would argue that Americans aren't hell bent on terrorizing and killing Muslims or destroying their sovereign states....Haven't we already?  That is exactly what we are doing now in Iraq and Afganistan.  We are murdering and terrorizing Muslims because their belief system (general core beliefs-without getting into sects) doesn't align with ours and we are bigger and badder.

We are in a civilized society with books, schooling and now the internet.  We have learned thousands upon thousands of things that happened throughout history all over the world.  So for us something that happened like 1850 years ago is ANCIENT, ANCIENT history.  If we were a society based on our religious teachings (possibly distorted by prophetic interpretations and hadith), stories and folk tales passed down generation to generation, etc., then something that happened that long ago.....say Ummmmm, the Crusades for instance......would be part of current teachings and folklore.

To paraphrase one guy in the media that recently said all Muslims are terrorists by inclusion, and it may have been the same guy that implied, Islam is the only religion that advocates killing in the name of GOD.   This guy has obviously never opened the Qur'an, read the Christian Bible, or the Torah.  By Torah, I am mean all of what the Christians call the Old Testament...not just the Books of Moses.  If he did, he would be astounded at the similarities.  Because all advocate killing and violence in the name of GOD.  THE SAME GOD!!  And all three religions have and continue to kill each other in the name of this same GOD!!   Nothing any one of us (or every one of us) can ever say or do is going to change this.  If the very last three people on earth were one Christian, one Muslim, and one Jew, I can guarantee that eventually there would still be two murders.

So when did YOU join the Klan?

As a Jew, I would say "We are God's chosen people as promised to Abraham".  As a Christian, I would say "We are heirs to God's promise to his chosen people".  As a Muslim, I would say "By God's promise, we are God's true blessed and chosen people".

Let's go back to where the three religions diverged.  Abraham of Genesis.  God promised Abraham two things.  First that his offspring would inherit the land of Caanan. (basically everything from the Nile to the Euphrates)  Secondly, God promised Abraham that he would father many nations and his offspring would be blessed in all of the earth.  Abe's lineage would be God's chosen people.  In those days, man's possesions and wealth were passed to the first born son.  Who was Abraham's first born son? Ishmael...sired by Abraham and born to his wife's arab servant.  Who is one of Ishmael's decendants?  Muhammed..the first prophet of Islam.  Case closed?

Todd

I hope I didn't step on Mikes toes. (he's probably a Southern Baptist anyway LOL)  In case you were wondering about MY religious background?  You'd never guess.......