[Rhodes22-list] Oriental to Ocracoke

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Wed Oct 19 19:41:23 EDT 2005

Hello Rhodies,

We leave in the morning for Oriental NC.  Four boats: two Paceship 23, one Tanzer 26 and Raven.  David Schwartz, my T16 dinghy racing crew, has arranged to play hooky from his duties teaching Dookies and signed on for this adventure.

By noon we should be at the ONC Wildlife ramps, rigged by 1 or so, then it's off east to the mouth of the Neuse, about 15-20 miles depending upon which creek or swamp on the south shore we hole up in tomorrow night.

Friday we'll decide to go or not go across another 35 miles of open Pamlico Sound to Ocracoke NC.  If the hurricane comes close enough to increase the winds in the eastern Pamlico above 20, our boat won't go.  The shoals out there get real choppy and rough with sustained winds over 20 and that's just not fun.  Don't want to get stuck on Ocracoke until the middle of next week.  The return trip will be 50 miles in one day, so we're hoping for perfect conditions.

I'll take some pictures and let you know how this turns out.  Please wish us all luck!

PT