[Rhodes22-list] Cayman Brac - SCUBA

Wally Buck tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 21 09:06:24 EDT 2005

Rob,

Well it was about 7 years ago when we went to Cayman Brac. We were in a
diving club and went with a group from Knoxville. Our focus was on diving!.
At least three dives a day at both Cayman Blac and Little Cayman. The area
is a divers paradise and the dive master and crew were first rate. I love to
snorkel but you miss a lot and you do work harder.

Most of the diving in this area is 60 -90 feet down and the famous Bloody
Wall is off Little Cayman. I got my Advanced Deep Diver Certification just
prior to this dive. We went down about 135 feet but the wall just kept on
going. The water is thousands of feet deep. The trip over to Little Cayman
is a couple of hours. From what I could tell the fishing looked pretty good.

http://www.bracreef.com/index2.html

I think there were only 2 resorts on the island at the time. BracReef is
fairly no frills and most of the guests are divers. The coral island is very
flat with a 130 foot bluff on the east side. The bluff area is noted for
variety of bird life. We drove to the East End one day and explored the
bluff area. We explored some caves and met a bunch of bats. The island is
made of coral and is not a tropical jungle like Jaimaca. Plant life is of a
hardy variety.

The island is very kicked back with hardly anything going on other than what
is on the resort. Our trip was all inclusive so we ate and drank at the
resort. We did rent a car one day and another day we rode bikes around the
island. The island is quite flat so biking is easy compared to the hills of
TN.

The beach area of the resort had a sandy shaded area but most of the island
is very rocky. There is a huge school of Tarpon that rest under the dock at
the resort. They showed up every night.

We had a great trip. There were a few non-divers with the group and they
mostly just relaxed on the beach.

Have fun!

Wally