[Rhodes22-list] Reply to Lou on Motors

Stuart Rosenstein stu at amgcapital.net
Wed Oct 26 00:28:20 EDT 2005

Take me off this mailing list!!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org
[mailto:rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org] On Behalf Of Luis Guzman
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 9:03 PM
To: The Rhodes 22 mail list
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Reply to Lou on Motors

Lou,

I think that you should consider an electric outboard.

I'm having problems with my motor and I'm considering converting an old 10
hp to electric.
I found several sites on the internet with information on them. I'll send
you some links later.

Luis

Jim White <lemenagerie22 at yahoo.com> wrote:
Hey Lou
I have a 9.9 honda 4 stroke, and for what it's worth, love it. It's quiet,
easily push button starts each and every time, and the best part is...in
light air it makes great port side rail meat, due to it's ahhh, robust size.
It has plenty of low end torque to handle current, wind and tide, I run a
big moderate pitch 4 blade prop that handles low throttle well.

On a down note, the extra weight of the engine with myself and another
heavyweight in the stern, tends to push a little water up through the thru
hull drain when moving slow...

Hey we haven't had a good two stroke vs. four stroke knock down-drag out in
a long time, and I have a new wireless connection on this high speed
roadunner cable, so bing it on...(just kidding) jw

ed kroposki wrote:
Lou,
I had a clunker 8 hp on my boat and due to guest request got a new motor
several years ago. I got Rummy's recommended 2 stroke, 8 hp Tohatsu.
I choose the 8 hp from experience trying to go against current in the
Intracoastal Water Way along the Florida, Georgia coast. When you go against
the current on the ICW you need about 8 hp to make a headway that keeps
guest complaints to a minimum. The guest did not appreciate sailing against
the current and going backwards. Sometimes your choice is determined by
others.
Before you came on this list we had several knock down discussions on 2
strokes versus 4 strokes. Your buddy Roger got pissed off at us two strokers
for environmental reasons. However, when you only use 3 gallons of gas a
year, I just do not buy the environmental arguments. The negligible amount
of oil put into the environment by sailboat 2 strokers does not outweigh the
benefits of less weight and reliability.
As Rummy pointed out the 8 hp 2 stroke Tohatsu weighs only 50 pounds. Your
mother could lift it if you can not. You do not need a crane for an 8 hp
Tohatsu. Just do not upset you secret buddy, Roger. He goes ballistic over 2
stroke engines. For sailboat use, his reasoning is too extreme on the
environmental side. What are the pollutants that come from one of those 400
hp engines on a canoe, aka, cigarette boat?

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
Addendum: "Reason can answer questions, but imagination has to ask them."
Dr. Ralph Gerard

Jim White
Le Menagerie
www.lemenagerie.blogspot.com