[Rhodes22-list] Wally, Did You Go Sailing?

William E. Wickman wewickman at duke-energy.com
Thu Sep 1 09:38:00 EDT 2005

I stole a couple of hours out on the lake yesterday.  Wind was fairly light
(as compared to Tuesday's remnants of Katrina) and shifty, but there were
gusts enough to dip the rail several times.  I really just went out there
to relax and experiment with sail trim.  When I looked back behind me, I
noticed another sailboat bearing down on me.  I felt like I was being
pursued by pirates.

Ah hell....I couldn't let the challenge go unanswered so I sheeted in and
concentrated on boat speed.  We were beating up the lake and the other boat
matched me tack for tack.  I noticed it was a Helms 27.  Oh well, maybe I
could hold him off.  With each tack the Helms gained a little, but by and
large I was holding it off pretty well.  Then a few gusts hit and I was
apparently able climb the puffs to windward better than the Helms and
started pulling away!  He finally tacked away, conceding the unspoken
challenge.  I felt proud to have held off a Helms 27 in my Rhodes22.  Great
boats, these Rhodes.

I'm looking forward to the fall racing season.

Bill Wickman