[Rhodes22-list] New Orleans Flood control problems

ed kroposki ekroposki at charter.net
Thu Sep 1 10:41:06 EDT 2005

Wrong:  The Red Cross should always beat the National Guard to a disaster.
The National Guard is a military organization, not a social relief
organization.  Better yet, national religious organizations should also beat
the National Guard.  States, Counties and municipalities should have
disaster plans.  Obviously, New Orleans, Louisiana and southern Mississippi
did not good evacuation plans.  Did you see the pictures of people trying to
leave on the northbound interstates?  It was a six-lane road.  Three lanes
bumper to bumper trying to get out.  Three lanes with occasional traffic
going south.  The proper thing would have been to close all traffic going
south and divert traffic going north onto the south bound lanes.  Six lanes
out would have expedited the evacuation.  They should have had gas tank
trucks filling up cars before they got on so that people who had limited gas
could go farther away.  Blame the wimpy and slow to act local and state
officials.
Now the National Guard and military police are needed to control the
situation.  I would hope that they are armed with orders to shot to kill
troublemakers.  There is no need to tolerate bad human behavior.  They
jeopardize the efforts of good people trying to do good deeds.  Did you see
the pictures of all the private fishing boats, bass boats, fan boats,
volunteering to assist.  There is good and bad.  This situation is
illustrating both.
Why is the Federal Government the one to blame about lack of flood control
funding.  Why aren't municipal and state governments responsible?  It is
because they would have to raise local and state taxes.  Why should people
in Minnesota have to pay for flood control in New Orleans?  Facilities and
businesses could locate in safer locations, and some have.

Oh, hum.
Ed Kroposki
Greenville, SC, USA