[Rhodes22-list] Rummies observation

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 6 06:44:09 EDT 2005

Wally,

It will be years before NO recovers from this, the
nation as well, and there will be lots of failing
grades passed around when all the investigations are
over.  In the meantime, a lot of people are still
suffering and still need our help, and money, or both.

The last revision of a bad plan from the city of NO
was to make and distribute DVD's before this years
hurricane season, educating the citizens that in the
event of a major hurricane, "you are on your own".
The city plan also included using the city and school
system bus fleet for evacuation but even that wasn't
implemented.

As we speak, the National Guard is still under command
of the LA governor.  If regular military units
step-in, they can engage in relief efforts only, not
law enforcement under the Posse Comitatus Act.  Every
FEMA engagement plan assumes that the local
authorities will control the first 72 hours.  It is
painfully clear that NO either could not or would not
do that.  "Cowboy" Bush could have stepped up to the
plate and taken over the whole operation early-on
through his emergency powers, something no President
has done since Reconstruction.

Unless we are willing to re-write the constitution
dividing the separations of local/state/federal power,
we have to assume that each level of government will
do their part at the appropriate time.  If they can't
or won't, these are the results we get.  Tragically
for the citizens of NO, a lot of elected officials
failed to do their part.

The lesson that should be burning in all our 'noggins'
as we discuss these issues is this:  Take
responsibility for you and your family's welfare.  Be
a Boy Scout - be prepared.

Brad