[Rhodes22-list] CB trunk repair on target!

Lou Rosenberg lsr3 at MAIL.nyu.edu
Wed Sep 7 16:32:16 EDT 2005

  Hi Rhodies and Stan;

  My centerboard trunk has finally received its first patch (of 4)
after almost 9 months of  planning, research, drilling, cutting,
measuring, calculating, sanding  & learning about epoxy properties
and temp ( courtesy of  Roger Pihlaja).  I only have a relative few
pictures of the trunk under repair but am not finished by a l  o  n
g shot and want to compose an article for  Good Ole Boat about this
repair.   Hope to  upload more pictures of the trunk , the patches
before and after soon enuf.
  My boat yard has been harassing me and moving me around like a
mumbly peg in a soccer match, so  I have had my hands full.

  Stan: when at the GBI factory I observed that there was a substance
surrounding the bilge in one of the boats that was recycled.  I have
seen this on others as well. It almost resembled epoxy but seemed
softer to the touch almost as if it was in the curing stage.  Can you
tell me what substance (elastomer/ elastopolymer?) you might be
placing around the flange in the bilge to protect the laminate from
water incursion??

  note:  I am not referring to the neoprene gasket, which I already have.

  I 'm trying to rebuild this boat and make it sail by next spring if
I can get onto it through the winter months..
  all the best to all you Rhodies and lurkers alike!
  thanks
  Lou