[Rhodes22-list] IMF reefing and trailering

ed kroposki ekroposki at charter.net
Thu Sep 8 10:32:22 EDT 2005

Dean:

       It is good to have a R22 question.  I have the single axle trailer
and it works fine.  I have heard that the double axle is better on real long
runs.  However, Stan and Elton have towed all over the U.S. and Canada with
the single axle.  The new single axle trailers are built much heavier to
accommodate the added weight of the newer hulls and goodies.

       How far are you going to tow?  The double axle is harder to maneuver
so you need a wider drive to the ramp.  The boat has gotten to the upper
limits of weight and two axles can carry more and distribute the load.  The
tandem axle does not mean two of the same size axles.  If you have a
problem, you do not want to go very far on a single axle anyway.  Do what
you will feel most comfortable doing.

       In light winds, you can furl in any direction.  High winds mean that
you need to point into the wind.  Big gust that you have trouble handling
let the main sheet go, then think about reducing sail.  That is unless you
are like a couple of others on the forum that like to bury the rail, wash
the portlights, or get the sails wet.

       Where are you going to sail?  We could use some more company on Lake
Hartwell.

Ed K

Greenville, SC, USA

Addendum:  Use this hot key to see where Rummy hibernates:
www.portmanmarina.com/marina.htm