[Rhodes22-list] MCPP Emergency Meeting

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 8 07:37:14 EDT 2005

A friend of mine, Steve, a fellow member of the
Memphis Center for Peace and Prosperity and former U
of MEM quarterback from the 80's, called yesterday and
scheduled an emergency meeting.  Some of our members
who are also Memphis Tiger football fans were
suffering from depression and having suicidal thoughts
after the Tiger loss to Ole Miss on Saturday.  A new
patron came in and sat down in our "boardroom", a
black guy with long dreadlocks.  Dreadlocks won't earn
you a second glance in our club compared to the
heavily tattooed, and metal laden wait staff and the
unusually coiffed college professors who frequent our
meetings.  After Dr. Steve ordered a couple of rounds
(strictly for medicinal purposes) and explained that
our Freshman quarterback (who had to step-in for our
regular quarterback who is out for the season for an
early game injury) actually did a pretty good job,
and, our star running back and Heisman candidate,
DeAngelo Williams, put in his regular performance, all
hope was not lost and a post-season game was not out
of the question.  That perked up the most downtrodden
members and the question naturally turned to where the
post season game would be (last year it was the Super
Dome).  Talk quickly turned to Katrina.  I made
mention of the kid who commandeered a school bus and
drove it to Houston and how I thought he was one smart
kid.  Our guest, the Bob Marley lookalike, said that
the bus driver was his cousin and that he may face
charges.  After everyone expressed their surprise, I
countered that he was a national hero and I'd
personally contribute to his defense fund.  Our guest
replied, "he's not worried about it, he's faced more
serious charges than that!"

After the laughter died down we, we welcomed our
newest member, had some more medicine and adjourned
our meeting.

Brad