[Rhodes22-list] IMF & trailering

cjlowe cjlowe at bright.net
Thu Sep 8 18:36:33 EDT 2005

Dean,
Everybody has their own way of doing things,driven by the conditions they sail under.I sail on a small lake that is down in the hollar,meaning most of the wind is up high.So instead of lowering the boom first,I will cut back on the main sail area,UNLESS I think the building wind is from a approaching storm.If a storm is coming,I'll reef the genny to 100%, reroute the jib sheets inside the upper shrouds,drop the poptop,put in the hatchboard and keep a close eye on conditions.The wife prefers to sail with the poptop up if possible.
I had the old single axel trailer,was not happy with it. Bought a new two axle this winter from Stan,love it.The biggest drawbacks on the two axle trailers are:
1 - twice the moving parts to maintain
2- real hard to push by hand in tight areas (trying to get into a corner of a garage)  However,somebody(I think Bill E.)suggested removing one set of tires, should work.
Pros are as follows;
1- will handle a flat or blowout better
2- don't have to get the boat as far on the trailer for good handling
3- brakes on 4 wheels haul that puppy down fast.
4- I think it makes a better looking package,going down the road or sitting in the driveway
5- bumps & potholes are smoothed out better

>From what I can tell,the splash & pull-out is about the same on both trailers. If I knew I would trailer 1500 mi. a year,I would spend the extra $1000 and get the 2 axle trailer.
If your tow vehicle is marginal,the 2 axle might help the cause.