[Rhodes22-list] Another Computer Question

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 11 07:52:19 EDT 2005

Slim,

I'm on my second laptop, both IBM's.  The first one
weighed about 8 pounds but had all the bells and
whistles.  The second is the lightest on the market at
2.5 pounds but has no external devices.  I've found
over time that the extra weight really becomes a PITA
and the stripped down version does 98% of what I need
to do on the road.  I have wireless at both home and
work but carry a LAN cable to hardwire whenever
possible.  Sometimes I'll score a free connection on
someones unsecured wireless but usually use NetZero
dial-up on the road for $10 per month, slow but
reliable.  Bill and Mark and some others are up to
speed on the mobile phone connection issues.  I'm
interested but can't justify the additional expense at
this point.  I've stayed away from Apple for the same
reasons Bill mentioned, there is a whole lot more
support for IBM and it interfaces with my company with
less hassle.  So here is my recommendation based on my
experience:  spend the extra money to get the lightest
unit you can afford.  I very seldom miss the bells and
whistles and I don't have to carry an extra bag, I
just wrap my IBM X40 in a pair of jeans and throw it
in the suitcase.

Brad