[Rhodes22-list] WiFi Hotspots

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 12 15:46:27 EDT 2005

Slim,

Here is a site you can use for locating hot spots.

http://intel.jiwire.com/

There are tons of others, I've found this one to be up
to date.  MSP has two providers, both fee based.
However, there are several free providers around the
city.  Most of the hotels I stay in have both wireless
and ethernet cable with the standard fee around $10
per 24 hour period, which is why I use a dial-up ISP
on the road unless high-speed is free. Given the
choice between hard-wire and wireless, I always
hardwire.  Here's why; it is very easy to be in the
middle of something and temporarily lose your wireless
connection.  If you are in the middle of a long e-mail
you lose everything typed.  You can avoid that by
doing word processing on  MS Word and cut/paste to
your e-mail program when ready to send.  Every
building at my company has almost complete WiFi
coverage, but the connection problem (temporary loss
of signal) is the same.  I can, and have gotten an
updated weather report on my laptop sitting in the jet
on the ramp.  Summary; I like wireless but will take a
hard-wire connection every time given the choice.  For
most of what I do on the road - check weather,
schedule, maintenance history, e-mail, etc., dial-up
is fast enough.

Brad