[Rhodes22-list] Why Rebuild New Orleans?

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Thu Sep 15 09:58:53 EDT 2005

New Orleans is one of the oldest cities in the United States. The idea that it is "doomed" is about as on the mark as saying we should abandon San Francisco and LA because they're "doomed".

Herb Parsons

S/V O'Jure
  1976 O'Day 25
  Lake Grapevine, N TX

S/V Reve de Papa
  1971 Coronado 35
  Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana Coast

>>> robert at squirrelhaven.com 9/15/2005 8:45:46 AM >>>
Folks:

The following article raises a serious question.
Apparently, New Orleans is doomed regardless of
what resources we throw at it.

Tough, but worthwhile reading.

/Robert Skinner

Time for a Tough Question: Why Rebuild?

By Klaus Jacob

Washington Post, Tuesday, September 6, 2005; Page A25

It is time to swim against the tide. The direction of
public discourse in the wake of Katrina goes like
this: First we save lives and provide some basic
assistance to the victims. Then we clean up New
Orleans. And then we rebuild the city. Most will
rightly agree on the first two. But should we rebuild
New Orleans, 10 feet below sea level, just so it can
be wiped out again?

Some say we can raise and strengthen the levees to
fully protect the city. Here is some unpleasant
truth: The higher the defenses, the deeper the floods
that will inevitably follow. The current political
climate is not conducive to having scientific
arguments heard before political decisions are made.
But not doing so leads to the kind of chaos we are
seeing now.

This is not a natural disaster. It is a social,
political, human and -- to a lesser degree --
engineering disaster. To many experts, it is a
disaster that was waiting to happen. In fact, Katrina
is not even the worst-case scenario. Had the eye of
the storm made landfall just west of the city
(instead of to the east, as it did) the wind speeds
and its associated coastal storm surge would have
been higher in New Orleans (and lower in Gulfport,
Miss.). The city would have flooded faster, and the
loss of life would have been greater.

What scientific facts do we need before making
fateful political, social and economic decisions
about New Orleans's future? Here are just two:

First, all river deltas tend to subside as fresh
sediment (supplied during floods) compacts and is
transformed into rock. The Mississippi River delta is
no exception. In the early to mid-20th century, the
Army Corps of Engineers was charged with protecting
New Orleans from recurring natural floods. At the
same time, the Corps kept the river (and some related
canals) along defined pathways. These well-intended
defensive measures prevented the natural transport of
fresh sediments into the geologically subsiding
areas. The protected land and the growing city sank,
some of it to the point that it is now 10 feet below
sea level. Over time, some of the defenses were
raised and strengthened to keep up with land
subsidence and to protect against river floods and
storm surges. But the defenses were never designed to
safeguard the city against a direct hit by a Category
5 hurricane (on the Saffir-Simpson scale) or a
Category 4 hurricane making landfall just west of the
city.

Second, global sea levels have risen less than a foot
in the past century, and will rise one to three feet
by the end of this century. Yes, there is
uncertainty. But there is no doubt in the scientific
community that the rise in global sea levels will
accelerate.

What does this mean for New Orleans's future?
Government officials and academic experts have said
for years that in about 100 years, New Orleans may no
longer exist. Period.

It is time to face up to some geological realities
and start a carefully planned deconstruction of New
Orleans, assessing what can or needs to be preserved,
or vertically raised and, if affordable, by how much.
Some of New Orleans could be transformed into a
"floating city" using platforms not unlike the oil
platforms offshore, or, over the short term, into a
city of boathouses, to allow floods to fill in the
'bowl' with fresh sediment.

If realized, this "American Venice" would still need
protection from the worst of storms. Restoration of
mangroves and wetlands between the coast and the city
would need to be carefully planned and executed. Much
engineering talent would have to go into anchoring
the floating assets to prevent chaos during storms.
As for oil production, refining and transshipment
facilities, buffer zones would have to be established
to protect them from the direct onslaught of coastal
storm surges.

Many ancient coastal cities of great fame have
disappeared or are now shells of their former
grandeur. Parts of ancient Alexandria suffered from
the subsidence of the Nile delta, and earthquakes and
tsunamis toppled the city's famed lighthouse, one of
the "Seven Wonders of the Ancient World."

It is time that quantitative, science-based risk
assessment became a cornerstone of urban and coastal
land-use planning to prevent such disasters from
happening again. Politicians and others must not make
hollow promises for a future, safe New Orleans. Ten
feet below sea level and sinking is not safe. It is
time to constructively deconstruct, not destructively
reconstruct.

The writer, a geophysicist, is an adjunct professor
at Columbia University's School of International and
Public Affairs. He teaches and does research on
disaster risk management.