[Rhodes22-list] Why Rebuild New Orleans?

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Thu Sep 15 22:29:13 EDT 2005

Herb Parsons wrote:
> That's the difference though, this isn't a "time after
time" problem. Yes, this was a catastrophic event. Yes,
we should sit back and decide just how much we're willing
to spend on the off chance that this happens again. And
yes, we should realize that this was an event that never
before occurred in the roughly 300 year history of the
city.
Herb -

I think that history records that NO has been flooded
several times in its history.  The advent of Wood's
pumps bought time when the area was predominantly
agricultural, but the increasing urbanization and
gradual subsidence has raised the stakes -- the
consequences are now much higher.

Much of NO has dropped as much as two feet in the last 60
years relative to the sea level.

I would also point out that NO's position so far out on a
delta is somewhat different than the other loci that you
mentioned.

Finally, I recognize both the historical and cultural
value of this pivotal point in our nation's history, and
the anguish of people who have lost all.  All over the
country, in the mountains as well as the shorelines, we
have been facing the flooding due to deforestation as well
as occasional hurricanes that have reached inland before
they died completely.

And we have had to face reality as we have made recovery
plans.

On a personal level, I admire your efforts, and those of
so many others, to ameliorate the suffering that has
resulted from many years of poor planning, inadequate
preparation, and failures of leadership in the immediate
situation.

Now, let's not put those who have suffered so much in the
last few days in danger again.

We either do a NO reconstruction VERY right, at a cost
that we may not be able to afford given our government's
sailor-in-a-whorehouse spending in the past few years,
or we face the realities and rebuild only the French
quarter and other areas above sea level -- at least until
we can afford to do it right.

Let's concentrate on getting the shipping going again, so
the economic engine can ge restarted.

/Robert Skinner