[Rhodes22-list] Why Rebuild New Orleans?

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Thu Sep 15 23:06:55 EDT 2005

Actually, that was where I was headed.

After we cat-5 proofed all the coastal cities, we'd need to tornado-proof all of the "tornado alley" cities, then earthquake proof the west coast, I believe a few cities get avalanches from time to time, and don't forget the heat wave in the north a few years ago... I think you see where I'm going.

Herb Parsons

S/V O'Jure
  1976 O'Day 25
  Lake Grapevine, N TX

S/V Reve de Papa
  1971 Coronado 35
  Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana Coast

>>> lemenagerie22 at yahoo.com 9/15/2005 4:49:52 PM >>>
Herb:
Most of us down here in South Texas would rather the government not provide cat 5 proofing. We're already sick of high taxes and besides, it would ruin the view.

A lot of us who live here on the coast understand the risks. Hey, you rool the dice, you take your chances....
jw

Herb Parsons <hparsons at parsonsys.com> wrote:
Question for all:

How many category 5 hurricanes have struck New Orleans in recorded history?

Another question,

What if "bulletproofing" the city against a cat 5 costs more than the repair bill for NO?

Yet another,

Why stop with New Orleans? Why not cat-5 proof every coastal city from South Texas to the northern part of North Carolina? I mean, I know that would be trillions of dollars, but if it's good for one city, isn't it good for all?

Herb Parsons

S/V O'Jure
1976 O'Day 25
Lake Grapevine, N TX

S/V Reve de Papa
1971 Coronado 35
Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana Coast

>>> pthorn at nc.rr.com 9/15/2005 2:49:11 PM >>>
Saroj,

I completely agree with you and Rummy about that. I makes no sense to
rebuild "as was". At the least, they should first upfit the levees to
withstand a Category 5, or plan on converting to a "new world Venice".
Proper planning could have avoided the whole catastrophe. If it's too
expensive to do it properly, then perhaps it shouldn't be done.

PT