[Rhodes22-list] Why Rebuild New Orleans?

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Sep 16 16:47:21 EDT 2005

What an interesting discussion!

Why didn't we have this discussion after 9/11?

Everything south of Canal Street in NYC is landfill.  Wall Street was
the site of a dike built by the Dutch.  The current World Trade Center
site is protected by a system of levees that completely surrounds the
foundation of the buildings.  The area within these levees is called
"The Bath Tub" and there was considerable concern after 9/11 that the
levees might not hold.   Luckily, they did hold.  This time.

There are many subway lines located directly under the World Trade
Center site, including some that go all the way into New Jersey.  With
our newfound knowledge of physics -- namely the fact that water travels
down hill -- we can now understand that if the levees surrounding the
World Trade Center had breached, all 600 miles of the underground
portion of the New York City Subway system would have carried the water
through tunnels to every part of the city.  All electrical lines in
Manhattan are also underground, as are all sewer lines, water lines, gas
lines, drainage pipes, telephone lines, steam lines, etc.

And yet, few people said "Don't rebuild the World Trade Center!".
(Although, to be fair, some did.)

And what about Afghanistan?  Why are we rebuilding that place?  We
invaded Afghanistan because the Taliban wouldn't hand over Osama.  Osama
still lives in Afghanistan, and the current government hasn't handed him
over, either.  Drug lords are currently running Afghanistan (the good
old free enterprise system).  Why aren't we making them rebuild the
infrastructure?

And what about Iraq?  Why are we rebuilding Iraq?  They have more oil
than we do.  They had one of the few police systems in the world that
was demonstrably more corrupt than the police in New Orleans.  We can't
afford to rebuild Iraq.  We just don't have enough money.

Let's not start calling people names here.  It's clear that labels don't
apply.  There is a fundamental question of government that we are all
trying to address.  It boils down to "Whose ox gets gored?"

I will continue to attack President Bush because I think the government
he represents doesn't work, and I feel we must change it before we get
deeper and deeper into a hole.  No nation on earth has enough money to
fix everything that's broken.  Choices MUST be made.  The current
government operates in a fantasy land of trying to please everyone.  "No
ox gets gored!" is their campaign platform.  But life doesn't work that
way, and at some point the rest of us must address the issues.

New Orleans will be rebuilt because it sits on a strategic waterway.
That's why it's there in the first place.  New York, San Francisco,
Chicago, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Boston, Key West, Miami,
Norfolk, Rotterdam, Tokyo, London--all will be rebuilt if flooded for
the same reason.

But there are better ways and worse ways to accomplish this, and I, for
one, fear that the current government won't really choose any way at
all.  This discussion has been about my fear.  We can't do what has been
proposed.  Somebody's ox is going to get gored.  It probably won't be
mine, even though I am prepared to give up something for the common good.

Bravo to all who have participated in this thread!  The President has
proposed spending more money than we have to rebuild New Orleans.  Where
is that money going to come from?  Shall we take it from our kids?
Shall we take it from Iraq?  Shall we take it from Afghanistan?  Shall
we take it from Health Care?  Shall we take it from the poor?  Or shall
we, Heaven Forfend!, take it from ourselves?

Waving American flags and putting bumper stickers on our cars will not
solve this problem.  Sending $25 to the Red Cross won't solve it,
either.  Going out on flooded streets in boats to rescue victims of a
disaster does help--but only for the moment.  There will be more
disasters.  There will be more wars.  There will be more poor...In
short, there will always be some things governments do better than
individuals.  That's why we have governments.

But then, we must decide what those things are, and how much we are
willing to pay for them.

Bill Effros