[Rhodes22-list] Proximate Cause -

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sun Sep 18 18:13:32 EDT 2005

Wally,

Not intended as a dodge.  That was what I meant in the previous post,
reduced to legal terms.  It is at the center of what we are discussing.
If the hurricane did the damage, commercial insurers must pay.  If the
hurricane damaged federally maintained levees, and the damage was due to
subsequent flooding, then the Federal Government will pay--meaning you
and me.

President Bush has as much as admitted that most of the damage was due
to levee failure (and I think we knew that, already) and therefore, the
Federal Government will pay.  This is not in the same category as
rebuilding beach houses that are blown down by hurricanes, and we
taxpayers are not in the same position to debate whether or not New
Orleans should be rebuilt at our expense.

When the auto pumps hit $3.00 a gallon the power traffic around here
dropped markedly.  Around here the auto pumps hit $3.00 a gallon a while
ago.  I don't know what the marine pumps are charging because I just
don't need one.  You should hear those guys talking about only filling
their tanks 1/2 way, and running up a $1000 bill.  Music to my ears.
Even the big sailboats aren't going out as much when there's no wind.

Bill Effros