[Rhodes22-list] Economics

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 19 14:06:46 EDT 2005

Slim,

Don't sell yourself short as an economist!  Anyone
who's heard your music knows you can count to four
quite well and perhaps your talent is exactly what we
need in charge of the national budget.  Balancing a
budget is pretty simple, you raise revenue, cut
expenses, or both.  As has already been stated on the
list at least once today, some peoples solution is to
pull the string on their Chatty Cathy doll and repeat
the mantra "raise taxes, raise taxes, raise taxes".
That's a popular solution when 80% of the taxes are
paid by 20% of the voters.  What is less popular but
even more necessary is to cut spending.  When
corporations get into trouble it is not uncommon to
cut spending accross the board and figure out where
the cuts were excessive later.  I personally like the
approach we teach for aircraft performance as a model
for fiscal responsibility, "measure it with a
micrometer, mark it with a grease pencil, cut it with
an axe".  Often the people who sing the same tune over
and over, "Raise Taxes" are actually promoting another
agenda far removed from fiscal responsibility.  No
political party is without guilt on this issue.  We
WILL be owned by China if we continue down this path.
Don't worry about going to jail in China, just do what
the Chinese do - "Oh, we're having a party?  Oh, you
mean that Party, oh they're great too!"

Brad