[Rhodes22-list] Jim White, Bob Weber, Texas Rhodes Owners

Jim White lemenagerie22 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 21 10:44:31 EDT 2005

Herb:
I am actually directly across the turning basin from Anchor, in a side tie. The fingers are pretty well protected as you mentioned, especially from northerly winds, and during Hurricane Emily we suffered only a four foot or so surge and a few gusts over 70...not much damage

If we are anywhere in the cone of this thing, I am sure we will suffere much greater this time. My prayers are with whoever gets the full force of it. It's too early to tell, and the US Navy model puts it in Corpus, much further south of Galveston. Much is dependent on what will happen with this cold front and the ensuing high pressure building in...when and how strong.

We are boarding up the lab this afternoon, and I am heading down to the Rio Grande River to collect some scientific equipment just in case. We might get hit...but we won't get hit with our pants down. Don't need no gum'ment carpetbagger to issue us a mandate....

jw

Herb Parsons <hparsons at parsonsys.com> wrote:
Jim,

Are both boats at Anchor Marina? Gini stayed on the O'Day through Erika a couple of years ago, but it dropped to a tropical storm shortly before making landfall. Notching like a cat 4, that's for sure. Anchor's pretty well protected, but after seeing what Katrina's surge did to boats on fixed piers, that will probably always concern me in the future.

Herb Parsons

S/V O'Jure
1976 O'Day 25
Lake Grapevine, N TX

S/V Reve de Papa
1971 Coronado 35
Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana Coast

>>> lemenagerie22 at yahoo.com 9/21/2005 8:14:50 AM >>>
Thanks Ed
Yea we're prepared. Even though most of the tracks at this time take the storm to Galveston and a more up-the-coast landfall, people in this area are precautionarily hauling boats and sitting on go to make other preps. I have a good custom made double axle trailer for Le Menagerie (sans brakes, but then I only use it for hauling out and hurricane hiding). We would most likely take her west of here about 75 miles...a slightly better place, but since this place is a delta too...wellll....you get the picture. Unfortunately, my "project" boat is a keel boat, and I'm going to have to leave her as is...

We're actually getting a swell already from that cat 4 monster, which is really causing an aerosol mist from the red tide. Can't hardly go outside.
jw

ed kroposki wrote:
Jim,

Notwithstanding Brad's report of the theatrics in New Orleans, you are
a more lightly target. Are you prepared? You had your boat out of the
water recently, so I presume that you have a trailer?

The track with the highest probably puts it the storm going over
Oklahoma and Arkansas. Bob are you prepared?

We also have at least two other Rhodes owners in Texas and in the
likely path. Anybody in direct contact with those guys?

And the storm will likely give New Orleans a problem in the future if
it dumps a lot of Rain in Arkansas, that would cause flooding of Mississippi
downstream.

Ed K

Greenville, SC, USA

Jim White