[Rhodes22-list] Evolution in Action?

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 21 15:20:04 EDT 2005

Rik,Robert,Saroj,

The questions you raise are common among many, if not
most of us. What sane and rational person who lives in
a hurricane prone area would not make at least minimal
preparation?  The question that the MSM will not ask
or address is this one: did the fact that monthly
government checks were due to arrive around September
1st have anything to do with the reluctance of NO
residents to evacuate?  It is hardly insensitive to
speculate that this may have been a factor.
Unfortunately the issue of poverty has become so race
sensitive and loaded with PC dynomite that it is
considered impolite dinner conversation.  The
following three predictive factors are race neutral:
if you do any one of the following you almost
certainly will live in poverty (1) get pregnant as a
teenager, (2) get married before age 21, (3) don’t
graduate from high school.  If you do more than one,
you increase your odds of living in poverty even more.
Patrick Moynihan, hardly a conservative, compassionate
or otherwise, predicted the likely outcome of the “War
on Poverty” programs in 1965.  I encourage everyone to
read it, here is the link:

http://www.dol.gov/asp/programs/history/webid-meynihan.htm

What we saw in NOLA was the dark underside of America
that no one wants to talk about, 40 years of welfare
hasn’t decreased poverty.  As Abraham Lincoln said,
“God must love the poor, he sure made a lot of them.”
What we have created is several generations of
individuals that know of no life without government
support, and have no knowledge of how to live without
it.  If we say they are too stupid to take care of
themselves, that is racist and insensitive.  The truth
is, they behaved exactly as we trained them.  The
“they” in that sentence includes those who appear most
sensitive to their plight, the residents of places
like Greenwich, Hyannisport, and 90210 who are
insulated by income and property prices from ever
having to actually deal with these issues on a day to
day basis.  Asking hard questions about what we
witnessed on our TV screens is neither racist,
insensitive, nor non-PC.  Few of us would want to be
so poor in spirit and means that we should find
ourselves so helpless.  If what we’ve been doing for
the last 40 years has lead to this, perhaps we should
examine more than the inadequacy of our levees.

Brad