[Rhodes22-list] Robert Brower

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Sep 23 10:35:10 EDT 2005

Bob,

My yard requires sails and masts down during the winter to avoid having
boats hurt each other during winter storms.

I have done more damage with a tarp than without one.  Snow and ice can
put a lot of weight on the mast, and on whatever is holding the tarp
down.  When tarp holder-downers start flailing they can do a lot of damage.

Many boats are hurt each winter by their tarps in my yard.  I don't use
a tarp any more.  I put wax on the entire boat--topsides, deck and all.
I don't use Colinite on any surface I will ever walk on because it is
too hard/slippery.  I use softer waxes for those surfaces.  All the wax
will be gone by Spring.

I store the boat very bow high, using the jack on the trailer.  All
water exits via the stern, the same way it does when you are on the
water.  If there is a lot of snow or ice I check the stern drain holes
to ensure they are clear.

Bill Effros