[Rhodes22-list] Robert Brower

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Sep 23 11:56:42 EDT 2005

Hank,

I'm in Greenwich, Ct.

The "yard" is Town owned and well sheltered.  The only time they have
ever experienced major problems with storms (and of course they
sometimes hit here, too) was on land with boats that toppled onto other
boats.  When I look at pictures of boatyards after storms, that seems to
be the biggest problem if you know how to keep your boat where you put
it, either on the water or on land.

On water we have way oversized mushroom anchors that must be inspected
once every 3 years.  This is a pain, too, and there's a guy who makes a
handsome living doing it, however, I must say, boats on water don't
crash into each other, either--for the most  part.

There is some sense to lowering the mast, it does protect neighboring
boats, and if you have to do it all the time you install quick couples,
everything stays lubed, the second time is much easier than the first,
you can do all your mast maintenance at one time and avoid ever climbing
the mast.

Some people like to climb the mast.  I'm not one of them.

Bill Effros