[Rhodes22-list] Boat Insurance Question

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Tue Apr 4 15:17:21 EDT 2006

About a year ago I was surprized to learn that Boat US coverage seemed both
expensive and quite restrictive compared to the ACV policy offered by Erie
Insurance, which handles all my business and personal policies.  So, I
bought the Erie boat policy.  Better coverage, less cost -- no brainer.

We do have a Boat US on the water and highway towing policy (trailering
club).  Last year bought a "limited" policy, but when my cruising buddy ran
aground outside Silver Lake, the Hatteras Boat US outfit quoted $2,000 to
pull him off  (most was travel time from Hatteras).  As a consequence, this
year all four in my trailer/sailor group who went on that trip purchased
"unlimited" policies for just $50 more.

The highway trailering part of that trailering club policy has always paid
for itself.  It will (and has paid for) a wrecker to get off a sand covered
(slippery) ramp.

PT